A, The symbol for a universal affirmative proposition.
- Chiefly metaphysical senses.
- self-sufficient in being and needing no other; independent of or altogether free from all external causes and conditions and external limitations and having the reason for its being and perfection entirely within itself.
- perfect, whole, or complete in itself.
- Chiefly logical and epistemological senses.
- considered or conceived in itself, independently of its relations; not though or as referred to something else.
- unqualified; unrestricted; unconditional; simple; categorical.
Uses—absolute being, justice, nature, norm, necessity, obligation, perfection, power, supposition, supremacy, or authority.
- Without condition, limit, exception, or any other qualification, relationship, or attendant circumstance.
- In itself alone; in its substance or nature.
- Abstractly or in separation from all that is not itself.
- The doctrine that civil sovereignty or the civil sovereign is unrestricted in authority.
- The practical application of such a theory in governing.